WNYSR Real News Media
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochester firefighter alleges he was forced to attend racist party while on duty

Go down

Rochester firefighter alleges he was forced to attend racist party while on duty  Empty Rochester firefighter alleges he was forced to attend racist party while on duty

Rochester, N.Y. — A 14-year veteran of the Rochester Fire Departments plans to sue RFD and the city of Rochester after he said he was forced to attend a party last month that mocked Juneteenth and degraded local politicians.

Firefighter Jerrod Jones stood on the steps of City Hall Thursday afternoon and said he felt obligated to speak up.

"It means a lot to me when I put that uniform on and I've always wanted to represent my city in a correct manner, in a decent manner, in an honorable manner, and what I had to experience a month ago, it cut me very deeply," Jones said.

In a claim filed, Jones alleged he was working a regular shift on July 7 when his captain, Jeffrey Kryway brought him and two other firefighters to Kryway's junior, to a party at a private mansion on East Avenue. There, Jones said he was greeted by cut-outs of Donald Trump, Juneteenth flags, and buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken. The court papers say pictures of local Democratic politicians were placed on stakes across the backyard, and a woman wearing a red wig was performing for attendees, impersonating Democratic County Legislator Rachel Barnhart, while the crowd shouted sexually explicit comments. He said the party was hosted by Nicholas Nicosia and Mary Znidarsic-Nicosia.

"I have two children who maybe one day will aspire to be firefighters and I don't want them to experience what I experienced. I wouldn’t want your kids to experience that," Jones said. “I’m sorry to have to even be here today but in order for things to change we have to do difficult things and one of those difficult things is speaking up against a department that you love with everything in you,” said Jones..
Jones said he went to acting Battalion Chief George Smith the day after the party who was reportedly shocked by the account and promised to take action. However, Jones said he was assigned to work with Krywy shortly after the internal complaint was filed.

According to a statement from Chief Felipe Hernandez, the City of Rochester investigated allegations of misconduct raised by a firefighter against his supervisor.

The allegations are serious, and the behavior described is unacceptable and an affront to everyone who works with the RFD and in City Hall.

The department says the investigation is over and the supervisor has been informed of disciplinary action - though no specifics were provided on what that includes. "The supervisor remains on suspension until the action been received and accepted," the statement continues.

Mayor Malik Evans called the event "mind boggling".

“As the mayor, from what I’m learning from those that have conducted those investigations, I have very serious concerns that we’re still having these type of conversations that happened 50 years ago that we are literally still having these conversations in 2022, so I’m actually pretty sad today, I’m distressed today,” said Evans. He said human resources and the officer of diversity, equity, and inclusion will be involved in the case.

The Mayor issued a statement Thursday night saying in part, "This is not only a concern for the Rochester Fire Department. This is a concern for all of Rochester. That an event like this was held and attended by influential community members – in 2022 – is mind boggling. Our community must be better than this. I call for my fellow Rochesterians to push back against hurtful racism and stereotypes that degrade members of our community. Join me in ensuring behavior like this is not tolerated in our city. Events like this remind us that there is much work to do to overcome racism in our society.

The claim names Rochester City Councilman Mitch Gruber as one of the politicians portrayed with his head on a stake at the party.

"We talked tonight in our council meeting about recruitment in the fire department we are trying actively to recruit young people of color into the RFD. They are going to look around at this and wonder is this a place I want to go where I want to be. We need to root that out in our fire department and all city departments where young people of color want to be and want to serve," he said.

Jones also alleged a senior member of the Rochester Police Department was at the party.

The RPD said an internal investigation is underway to determine if the allegations are true.

“If any first responders were there and did not turn around and immediately walk out it will come out and there will be consequences,” said Barnhart, outside city hall Thursday.

Jones was applauded for coming forward by some retired members of the RFD, like Marty Coker, who was hired as the city's first Black fireman in 1965. He said racism is a longstanding issue within RFD.

"I was threatened on the job. If I didn’t do what the officers told me to do, I was threatened I would be terminated. Back then I didn’t have any resource to go to so I just kept quiet," Coker said.

"I can tell you this is something that is systemic, it has been going on within this organization for a very long time now and I’m glad that Jerrod has the courage to step forward and to tell his truth," said Thomas Gibson, also a retired Rochester Firefighter.

At City Council on Thursday, Mayor Evans said he hopes to provide an update on the investigation in "short order".

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://1003wnysr.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit